Minimum response time is 2 hours.
Support help line: 1-866-760-2623

Travel Document FAQ

A travel document (also known as Form IMM 5529) allows Canadian permanent residents who are not in the country to prove their immigration status on their return to Canada.

More information is available from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Who can apply for a travel document?

Anyone who is a permanent resident and is not currently in Canada can apply for a travel document. Additionally you must not be subject to a deportation order and you must be able to prove your permanent residence status.

Where can I apply for a Travel Document?

You can get a travel document from any Canadian visa office abroad. The visa office website for the country you are in will direct and inform you on how to obtain your travel document and what documents to submit with your application.

My PR Card expired whilst I was out of Canada. How can I prove my status on my return?

You need to apply for a travel document from any Canadian visa office abroad. This will enable you to enter Canada and then you can apply for a new PR card.

What do I need to get a travel document?

You need to prove your identity and that you were a legal permanent resident in Canada prior to your departure. You must have lived in Canada for 730 days out of the last 5 years.

Will one travel document cover all family members?

No. Each family member regardless of age must apply for their own travel document.
How much does it cost to apply for a travel document?

The fee for processing your application for a travel document is CDN $50. You may pay this in the local currency of the country you are staying in if the Canadian visa office there agrees. If your request for a travel document is denied, your fees will not be refunded.

What happens once I have submitted my application?

Once you have submitted your application to the Canadian visa office in the country you are staying in, a visa official will review your application and if you are eligible for a travel document, it will be affixed to your passport.

Do I need to reapply for a PR Card if I have a travel document?

Yes. The travel document will only allow you to enter into Canada once. When you are back in Canada you should apply for a PR Card because this allows you multiple entries into Canada.

I have a record of Landing but no PR Card. Will this allow me entry into Canada?

No. Unless you have a valid PR Card you will not be able to enter the country. You will only be able to do so if you obtain a travel document from a Canadian visa office in the country you are staying in. On your return to Canada you should apply for a PR Card especially if you expect to travel outside of the country again.

I am a permanent resident planning a trip abroad. Do I need a travel document to re-enter Canada?

If you have a valid PR card, you do not need to get a travel document. If your PR card is due to expire whilst you are away, you should apply for a new card before you go. Travel documents are emergency documents issued to permanent residents whose PR card has expired or been lost or stolen whilst they are out of the country.


For paid assistance with permanent resident travel documents
Download Package

For PR Card Renewal Calculator

Canada Passport
Canadian Birth Certificate
Canadian Death Certificate
International Visas
Canadian Pardon
Permanent Resident Card
Citizenship Card
Fast Card
Global Entry
Travel Document
Related to Travel
Right of Citizenship
Work Holiday Visa
Marriage to a Foreigner
UK Certificates
US Waiver
British Passport
Canadian Visa
Canada Sponsorship

Oakley Sunglasses|thomas sabo charm
HOME   |  ABOUT US   |  PRIVACY POLICY   |  DISCLAIMER   |  OAKLEY UK   |  CONTACT US All rights reserved with ImmiGroup Inc.